I love everything French onion and I LOVE cooking with puff pastry:)
I remember how my grandmother used to make that tender, sweet caramelized onions woven in-between a tangy goat cheese filling all atop flaky puff pastry for an easy yet elegant appetizer for entertaining….
Elegant but super easy to make too :
- Slice the onion thinly.
- In a skillet slowly and on medium heat so that they don’t burn caramelize the onions.
- Roll out a puff pastry sheet and spread olive oil over the top.
- Spread the onions out, and then roll the edges up to form a pizza like crust edge. (The edges will be very flaky and tender after baking.
- Drizzle the goat cheese sauce over the entire tart.
- Place the completed tart in the oven and bake until golden brown!
I love puff pastry tarts! They’re so easy to make and such a great appetizer for elegant entertaining. That goat cheese sauce paired with the onions is really phenomenal!
- preheat oven to 375°
- Peel the onion and then slice the onion into 1/4″ slices. Try to have the onions be of consistent widths so the cook evenly.
- Heat a skillet to medium and place the onions in the pan. Slow cook them on medium heat until they are deep brown in color. Stir them often. Resist the urge to raise the heat to high, the onions will burn. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the puff pastry from the box and follow the instructions on the box for thawing.
- Roll out the puff pastry.
- Roll 1/4″ over twice. Crimp the edges of the pastry making a crust edge.
- Spread evenly cooked onions over the tart.
- Mix 4 ounces of goat cheese and heavy cream and stir until softened and a liquid texture. You will then pour this over the onions on the pastry.
- Spread the goat cheese evenly over the entire top.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Check tart at 15 minutes to see the color of the edges. Remove when its golden brown.
- The pastry may puff up in the middle, don’t panic. Take a fork and puncture the bubble and it will immediately deflate.
- Serve in slices or squares immediately. Can also be served at room temperature.