Time for some lemony sweetness. I made some lemon bars last week, but they were gone before I had time to dig in. I did get a taste, but it wasn’t enough…so I made a batch that I could hog all to myself.
First I needed a crust for my lemon curd to sit on. Super easy, I just creamed together butter, powdered sugar and flour.
Then I pressed it into a sheet pan. It was a sticky dough, so I had the best luck by layering it between 2 sheets of parchment and rolling it out. I brought the edges up the sides of the pan a bit, to help hold in my filling.
Then I baked it to a golden brown while I made the filling.
The filling was a mix of lemon juice, zest, sugar, flour and eggs. I have a thing for meyer lemons, so I used those.
I poured the filling onto the crust as soon as it came out of the oven, while it was still hot.
Then I baked it until it was just set.
I let it sit on the fridge overnight to get nice and chilled. Then I sliced them up into not so neat little squares. What can I say, I was hungry. o time for straight lines.
Then I gave them a generous dusting of powdered sugar.
And dug in. Delicious.
Yield: one 9 x 13 sheet pan
6.75 oz soft butter
2.25 oz powdered sugar
8 oz AP flour
1 lb 1/2 oz sugar
2 oz flour
4.5 oz lemon juice (meyers if you got ’em!)
2 TBSP lemon zest
– Preheat oven to 350°F.
– Cream butter and sugar. Add flour.
– Press into parchment lined sheet pan.
– Bake until golden. Do not cool crust.
– Combine sugar and flour. Whisk in lemon juice. Whisk in peel. Whisk in eggs.
– Pour filling into hot pre-baked crust.
– Bake until set in the middle.
– Let chill for 8 hours before cutting.
– Dust generously with powdered sugar.