Refreshing with a bold twist…
Habanero lemonade plays with fire in all the right ways. This is one seriously bold drink that’s full of contrasts: tangy and sweet, fiery and thirst quenching. And (for the adults over 21 in the room), it’s a delicious pairing with vodka or bourbon for a memorable spicy cocktail.
- 1 gallon water
- 12 lemons
- 3 habanero peppers seeds removed and sliced
- 3 cups sugar
- Lemon slices for serving, optional
- Halve the lemons, then squeeze out the juice into a bowl. Set the bowl to the side.
- Pour 2 cups of water into a pot and add the sugar. Bring the pot to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Add the habanero peppers to the sugar water and continue to simmer the mix for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat, then remove the habanero slices from the water.
- Place the remaining water in a large pitcher, then add the sugar water and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Put the pitcher into the refrigerator and allow the lemonade to chill for 30 minutes to one hour, at minimum.
- Serve over ice. Add lemon slices (optional).
Want it spicier? increase the amount of habanero used. We do not recommend leaving the habanero slices in the lemonade.