Do you know a better sweet snack than a brownie? I found this recipe a few years ago, and it has been a picnic/camping staple since then. Think: chocolate + peanut butter + sea salt. I swear these brownies bring out the kid in all who taste them. It’s been a while since I made a batch, so I’m excited to get to know these little guys again.
Since my brownies require a bit of layering, I completely wrap my pan in foil, so I can just lift them out when they’re finished.
I start by melting some chocolate and butter. The safest way to do this is to put them in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. The heat slowly melts them as you stir, but helps prevent you from scorching the chocolate.
Once melted, I pour the chocolate into a mixing bowl and beat in eggs and vanilla extract. Then I stir in flour and salt. Notice a lack of leavening, these are super fudgy brownies.
I poured the batter into my prepared pan and baked them for about 30 minutes.
Once baked and cooled, I whipped together peanut butter, powdered sugar, nutmeg, milk and vanilla to make a fluffy peanut butter frosting. I spread that on top, trying to get an even a layer as possible.
Then I melted some more chocolate and butter, and topped the peanut butter. Once it cooled just a tad, I sprinkled on some chunky sea salt.
I let the brownies chill in the fridge for about 2 hours, and then sliced them into cute little squares! YUMMMM…
6 oz unsalted butter
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
– Preheat oven to 325°F.
– Line 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan with foil, leaving long overhang.
– Butter foil.
– Place 3/4 cup butter in heavy large saucepan.
– Add chocolate. Stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat.
– Whisk in sugar, vanilla, and salt, then eggs, 1 at a time.
– Fold in flour.
– Spread in prepared pan.
– Bake until tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes.
– Place pan on rack and cool.
Frosting and ganache
1 cup smooth peanut butter (do not use natural or old-fashioned)
4 oz unsalted butter, divided in half, at room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
– Beat peanut butter and 2 oz butter to blend.
– Beat in powdered sugar, salt, and nutmeg,
– Beat in milk and vanilla.
– Spread frosting over brownies.
– Stir chocolate and 2 oz butter in heavy small saucepan over low heat until smooth.
– Drop ganache all over frosting; spread to cover.
– Chill until set, at least 1 1/2 hours.
– Using foil as aid, transfer brownie cake to work surface & cut into squares.