The base of this meal is my friend Carlos amazing Shredded Chipotle Chicken. I cannot emphasise how amazing it tastes after 6 hours of slow cooking. The chicken absorbs the wonderful spice of the chipotles (smoked jalapeños) and breaks it apart into shreds that soak up the sauce it sits in.
The shredded chicken recipe will make enough nachos for a group of 8 people, but if there’s only a few of you then the leftover chicken is a beautiful filling for another meal like tacos, enchiladas or burritos. It’s as versatile as it is tasty.
The best part is just how easy it is to make. Fry up some garlic, onion and chilli, throw all the ingredients into a slow cooker and then shred. That’s it.
Here we go, Shredded Chipotle Chicken…
Carlos very own recipe.
½ brown onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 chipotle chillies in adobo, finely chopped
2.2 lb (1kg) chicken thighs (no bones)
3.2 cups (800g) canned organic tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1 tablespoon dried oregano
Olive oil, for frying
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Fry onion and garlic until soft.
2. Added chillies and fry until softened.
3. Add all ingredients to slow cooker, cook for 6 hours.
4. Remove chicken, shred into fine strips.
5. Return to sauce, stir through and keep warm until ready to serve.
Smoky Chipotle Chicken Nachos
Carlos very own recipe. Serves 8.
1. Spread tortilla chips over baking tray covered in baking paper. Scatter with cheese and grill until cheese has melted.
2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the chipotle chicken until warmed through.
3. Once the cheese has melted over tortilla chips, remove from oven and place on serving dish.
4. Top with shredded chicken, guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo and sauce of your choice.
5. Eat blissfully, perhaps with a strong Margarita….